Odyssey Interviews - Leigh Phillips
April 30, 2021
Yavar and David / Leigh Phillips
Our chefs are hard at work in the kitchen, experimenting with various aural seasonings and editing techniques as they prepare to serve our next regular episode. In the meantime, however, please enjoy this delicious apertif: a brief, entertaining interview with film score reconstructionist (and friend of the show) Leigh Phillips, who fills us in on the status of a potential Thriller: Volume 3 Kickstarter, reveals which Thriller scores would likely be included on that album, talks about his work reconstructing Jerry Goldsmith's score for Damnation Alley, reveals his favorite recent Goldsmith album releases, and more! Plus, be sure to stay tuned for that regular episode, in which Leigh will give us his expert analysis of Goldsmith's score for the Thriller installment Mr. George. Enjoy!
- 00:00 - Thriller - "Mr. George" - The Garden (Goldsmith)
- 02:19 - Thriller - "Pigeons from Hell" (Morton)
- 04:44 - Thriller - "What Beckoning Ghost" - Waking Up (Goldsmith)
- 05:38 - Thriller - "The Dark Legacy" - Book, Dog & Fireplace (Goldsmith)
- 06:16 - Thriller - "Guillotine" - Guillotine Test (Goldsmith)
- 06:36 - Thriller - "The Cheaters" - Miriam's Excursion (Goldsmith)
- 07:26 - Thriller - "The Storm" (Morton)
- 07:57 - Thriller - "The Devil’s Ticket" (Morton)
- 16:34 - Damnation Alley - Refueling Stop (Film Audio) (Goldsmith)
- 18:31 - Damnation Alley - Refueling Stop (Intrada Album) (Goldsmith)
- 23:36 - The Salamander - Car Bomb (Goldsmith)
- 23:48 - Thriller - The Grim Reaper - Prologue (Goldsmith)
- 26:08 - Damnation Alley - The Desert (Film Audio) (Goldsmith)
- 27:20 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Synth for Main Theme (Goldsmith)
- 28:18 - Damnation Alley - The Desert ARP OD (Stem) (Goldsmith)
- 29:02 - Damnation Alley - The Desert (Recording Session) (Goldsmith)
- 29:29 - Damnation Alley - The Desert ARP OD (Mix) (Goldsmith)
- 30:15 - Damnation Alley - The Desert (Intrada Album) (Goldsmith)
- 31:35 - Tron Legacy - The Son of Flynn (Daft Punk)
- 32:31 - Air Force One - Firing on Air Force One (McNeely)
- 36:00 - US Marshals - Funeral Ambush (Goldsmith)
- 39:04 - Damnation Alley - Valley of Death (Intrada Album) (Goldsmith)
Please send your correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goldsmith's Strange Ensembles
Reconstructing the Synth Timbres
How Were the Synths Played?
Deconstructing "The Desert"